Tuesday, 17 April 2012

1950s sewing machine

I've put together the sewing machine kit that I bought at the Arnhem dollshouse show from Sylvia's Lutjebeudel.  I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

They provided me with a sheet of English instructions when I bought the kit.  The kit has everything you need except tools and glue.  There is a plastic sewing machine body and base, two pieces of wood for the double sub-base, metallic decals, and a photocopied sheet of floral graphics. The instructions were straightforward and there was an accompanying sheet of diagrams which clarified measurements and assembly details.

After shaping and assembling the sub-base with tacky glue, and assembling the sewing machine with Zap-a-Gap, it was time to start painting. The instructions sensibly recommend that you paint different-coloured components separately and assemble them at the end. The blue paint is a stamping paint that I bought from the bargain bin at Hobbycraft a few years ago, the white acrylic is Americana 'White wash' and the silver paint is Games Workshop 'Chain Mail'.

After final assembly, the metallic decals and floral graphic are added, and then I gave it a couple of coats of gloss varnish and added some fine thread to give the illusion of a spool of thread on top.

For the moment, I've positioned it on the bottom shelf of a display unit that still needs filling up, in the quilt shop.